Where is your summer vacation taking you? Whether it's a Northern Arizona escape, a camping excursion, road trip, or beachy getaway, being prepared is essential! Prep accordingly for maximum R&R- and so you're not stuck walking through your campground in a sun dress/sandals situation (guilty).
If you are going to... Flagstaff for the weekend
Flagstaff, about 2 1/2 hours north of Phoenix, provides the perfect little escape from the valley's heat. The city's hottest month, July, hovers around 81° and drops to about 51° at night (no joke!). Days can be breezy, so bring a light layer you can throw on and off.
The city has a great walkable downtown area with independent restaurants, breweries, and fun hippie shops. There are plenty of hikes to do, parks for picnics, the Lowell Observatory, and Snowbowl, the ski mountain, offers summer activities.
- Pack a great outfit for the day that will have you covered and cool! This one is simple and polished. Pair with comfy shoes for walking around town!
- Throw on some denim in the PM for Northern AZ's cool summer nights. Keep the look relaxed in a structured striped top. A light scarf is great to have if dinner on the patio gets chilly.
If you are going... Camping
Whether you are heading to a local Arizona spot like Payson or the White Mountains or going out of state, chances are you will need to be prepared for both warm and cold temps. I talked about some of my camping experiences in my roadtrip post here. If you are camping for multiple nights, it's helpful to keep a separate "night" outfit to wear during campfires- so only one outfit gets smokey!
- Good athletic pants make great during-the-day picks to explore in while still flattering your figure. Don't forget your tennies!
- Snack attack!
Mix it up and swap the milk chocolate for dark in s'mores like the Dark Choco Lovers Bar from TJs. Crunchy roasted chickpeas are an awesome alternative to chips or pretzels (available at Whole Foods). A little nut butter is perfect on fruit, celery, or straight from an individual packet like the ones by Justin's. Camp meal companies have gotten super creative with their freeze-dried bites. I know it sounds weird but they're great! Some brands even have gluten free and vegan options and can be found at REI. And who doesn't love granola? Crunchy goodness. KIND makes all kinds of flavors with protein and fiber, too!
If you are going to... A beachy getaway
Beach side- the essential summer destination! Weather you are planning to sunbathe at the ocean or lake, stick with clothes that are breezy and light. That way you can layer over your bikini and be good-to-go all day.
- It doesn't get much easier than a great sun dress. We love the pretty back details on this one. Also available in magenta print!
- A great tote makes carrying all your day essentials fuss-free.
- These swing tanks were made for the beach! Pair them with some super-soft bottoms like these trouser shorts by Level 99.
- A pretty cardigan is perfect for when the sun goes down on the coast.
- It's the little things... the perfect accessories to finish any outfit.