Seasonal Treats with Giant Coffee
Last year we sat down with Erin, Giant Coffee's head baker and manager, to discuss baking, coffee, and an out-of-this-world shortbread recipe. You can read our Q+A here.
Today Erin is sharing her recipe for Gluten Free Almond Butter Bars. A perfect, festive treat to make for family and friends this holiday season! These delicious and surprisingly light and moist bars already have a dedicated following here at Bunky Boutique. We are so excited to share with you!
Gluten Free Almond Butter Bars
with fresh cranberries & ginger
recipe adapted from mynewroots.org
- 1 1/2 C (380g) almond butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 C raw sugar
- 2t vanilla
- 1 1/2t baking soda
- 1/2t salt
Mix-ins & Topping:
1 C chopped fresh cranberries
1/2t dried ginger OR 1t fresh grated ginger
1 C chopped almond
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Grease one 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan
- Beat almond butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla together for a few minutes minutes, until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Add salt and baking soda and mix again briefly.
- Stir in the mix-ins, reserving a few cranberries and almonds to sprinkle on top.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth out the top and sprinkle remaining cranberries and almonds on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown, puffed, and no longer "jiggly." Allow to cool before slicing.
Q&A with Erin: Variations, baking ahead, & more
- What are some ways to make the recipe transition from fall to holiday season?
For fall I would do maybe spiced apples or pears as the mix-in ingredients, moving into the winter holidays I like to use the fresh cranberries and ginger for the pop of color and bright flavors. You could also try adding just mint extract and chopped up dark chocolate if your crowd prefers chocolate desserts over fruit.
- Can these be prepared ahead of time?
This can definitely be prepared a day or two in advance, just keep them wrapped tightly at room temperature and don't cut until you're ready to serve them.
- How do these represent Giant Coffee's baking aesthetic?
They represent Giant's baking aesthetic in that they're not too fussy or require a ton of gluten free specific ingredients. We use organic fresh fruit such as these cranberries when in season, and always use cage free eggs in our baked goods. These bars are one of my personal favorites to both bake and eat, are really versatile and just happen to be flourless/gluten free too!
Visit our neighbors at Giant Coffee for a caffeine & treat fix while tackling your holiday shopping at Bunky Boutique! Giant is open 7A-7P daily.